Cedar Mill
Community Website

Search the Cedar Mill News:

About The
Cedar Mill News

Volume 13, Issue 7
July 2015


Who to call?

We have compiled a little directory of useful contact information for local agencies and other resources. We will post this permanently on the main Cedar Mill News website, so let us know if you have suggestions for additional contacts and topics!

Roads and transportation

Washington County roads: To report potholes or request a road-related service, call 503-846-ROAD (503-846-7623), send email to, or submit the online service request form on here

The road service hotline is monitored Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. To report a hazardous road condition outside of normal business hours, call the Washington County non-emergency response number: 503-629-0111.

For safety hazards on state roads and highways, call the Portland metro ODOT office at 503-283-5859.

Police and safety

The Washington County Sheriff ’s Office has started a new campaign to educate the public about public safety and when and what to report. The campaign, “See Something? Say Something!” seeks to remind citizens that if it doesn’t look right, it probably isn’t; listen to your intuition. They want you to report anything that seems suspicious or makes you uncomfortable. Communicating what you see is key to preventing or deterring crime.

Call the Non-emergency number: 503-629-0111 to report graffiti, suspicious persons or vehicles, abandoned vehicles or noise disturbances. Call 9-1-1 if there is immediate threat of harm or danger, serious injuries, endangered persons, a missing child or crimes in progress.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office shared this question and answer list for other public safety topics.

How do I file a police report or speak with a deputy?  Call non-emergency dispatch at 503-629-0111

How do I run a background check or get criminal history information for myself or someone else? Call Oregon State Police Identification Services at 503-378-3070

How do I get a copy of my police report? Call Records at 503-846-2524.

How do I report an ongoing traffic problem like speeding in a neighborhood? Enter a traffic complaint on the Washington County Sheriff's Office website at

How do I report a neighborhood livability issue like a house that has broken down vehicles or other debris in their yard? Visit Washington County's Code Compliance website at and complete the Code Violation complaint form.

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

A vehicle is considered "abandoned" if it has been on a public right-of-way for more than 24 hours and: It appears to be disabled or inoperable; and/or it does not belong to anyone in the immediate area. If a vehicle meets the above listed criteria, please report it by calling our Criminal Records Office at 503-846-2700.

We will need the following information: A description of the vehicle; License plate or VIN; Location; How long it has been there; Your name and a contact phone number or address

You must provide your name and a contact phone number or address, or we cannot process your complaint. This information will be kept confidential.

Streams and wetlands

Clean Water Services says, “We need your help to keep our water clean and healthy. What goes down a storm drain goes to the nearest stream and eventually the Tualatin River. Unfortunately, some people dump waste into storm drains. This kills fish and pollutes our water. If you see someone dumping paint, oil, soap, fertilizer or other waste into a storm drain, report it to our Source Control Department at 503-681-5175.

If you have other questions or concerns, please call our main number at (503) 681-3600 or email us at

Animals – wild and domestic

How do I report a stray dog or cat in my neighborhood? Contact Washington County Animal Services at 503-846-7041. is also a great way to report lost or found pets. If you’re not already on Next Door, sign up for your neighborhood.

And feel free to contact the Cedar Mill News – we’re always glad to post lost or found pet information on our Facebook page.

For wild animals, visit this page provided by Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife. In general, they do not come out and trap or kill wild animals as long as they are not an imminent threat, but this page has some useful information.


If you have a concern (maintenance or otherwise) about one of Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District’s facilities, parks or natural areas, or if you are concerned about one of their classes or programs, please call the Administration Office at 503-645-6433. The office is open 8 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday except holidays. After hours, leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.

You can also use the online form on this page:

Home, Yard & Garden

Water conservation, rebates, cold weather preparation, and any other water questions can be directed to Tualatin Valley Water. Call 503-848-3000 or visit the website.

The OSU Extension Service Washington County Master Gardeners are happy to help identify garden pests, diseases, and other plant-related problems. Contact them at the hotline: 503-821-1150 or email: You can send a picture of your problem along with your email if you want to. Or you can visit the office: 155 N. First Ave., Suite #200, Hillsboro, OR  97124. Hours: 9 am–12 pm and 1 pm-4 pm Monday through Friday.

Honey Bee Swarm Removal: Local Cedar Mill beekeepers will come and remove a swarm without pesticides, to keep or trade with other local beekeepers. Keep our pollinators alive! Call 503-939-9380 and talk to Jennifer or Jeff.

Portland Urban Beekeepers is an organization that "provides community, advocacy and education for those interested in raising honey bees and supporting their presence in the environment." They've established a hotline for people who run across bee swarms to report its location and have experienced beekeepers come and collect it. The swarms are then donated to beekeepers who are looking to start or add to their existing hives.

If you want to report a swarm, the hotline number is 503-444-8446 or you can report it online (the online form is a national organization, so if you're not in Portland, you can report a swarm anywhere). If you're interested in getting a swarm for your hive or learning how to collect them, sign up at the website. The beekeepers also have monthly meetings that are held the first Wednesday of the month from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Check their calendar for the next meeting date.

Backyard burning: Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue (TVFR) maintains a web page with the latest updates on the backyard burning season. NOTE: The Washington County Board of Commissioners is considering an Ordinance to ban backyard burning entirely within the Urban Unincorporated Areas -- we'll report on that when and if it is passed.

The backyard burn ban does NOT apply to barbecues and contained fires in firepits. The ban generally applies to the burning of yard debris in uncontrolled piles of flammable materials.


Recycle unused paint at our local Miller Paint store: 1040 NW Murray Rd., 503-574-4411

For hazardous waste, visit the Metro page to learn more and find out about disposal options:

Drop-off recycling centers

Take electronics, rigid plastics and other items not collected in residential or commercial recycling programs, to a drop-off recycling center for little or no charge. Visit the recycling center's website for more information about what is accepted.

Agilyx Styrofoam Recycling 7904 SW Hunziker Road, Tigard, OR 97223

Far West Recycling—Hillsboro; 6440 SE Alexander St., Hillsboro 97123.

Personal information and privacy

The National “Do Not Call” registry is here:

You can submit a complaint about unwanted telephone calls once you have registered on the Do Not Call Registry here:

To stop unsolicited mail, phone calls, and email, visit the Federal Trade Commission website at

The State of Oregon Department of Justice has a Consumer Complaint Form here:

To opt-out of phonebook deliveries: Some have reported success, others not so much!


Previous article


Next article

Sign Up Now to receive
The Cedar Mill News by email each month

fb like
Like us on Facebook for timely updates

Cedar Mill News
Past Issues

Published monthly by Pioneer Marketing & Design
Publisher/Editor:Virginia Bruce
PO Box 91061
Portland, Oregon 97291
© 2013